Tuesday, August 30, 2011

The Week of the Chicken

Dan hates chicken.

When we go out to eat he'll order whatever isn't chicken. I think it's funny, being the health-conscious guy that he is, that he'll order a big fatty, juicy piece of steak before trying out a chicken dish - one of the leanest carnivorous protein options on the planet. So, of course, last week I set out to prove that chicken can be juicy and delicious - not the dried out boring piece of meat he claims it to be.

On Sunday, we went out to Fatoush. It's fun to say, it's fun to eat at because you feel like you've been transported to a foreign Mediterranean/Arabic land of some kind, and it's fun to not have to cook!

Fatoush makes excellent chicken. I ordered the Shish Taouk, marinated chicken breast served with seasoned grilled vegetables and rice (my favorite chicken and rice EVER, simple and delicious). And Dan, in true form, ordered the Beriani, tender chunks of Beef, Lamb or Chicken, grilled Potatoes, Almonds, golden Raisins, Garbanzo Beans, with special spices, in an aged Yogurt Sauce served with Rice - with the lamb of course! He tasted mine and it was true chicken love at first bite.

Then Tuesday I got ballsy and decided to try my hand at some baked chicken. For eight hours I marinated super organic, cage-free, happy, healthy, with lots of friends chicken from Whole Foods (that I paid an arm and a leg for) just to be sure it would be tender and delicious for this chicken hater I currently reside with. The recipe (provided below) is also Armenian, so of course I had to make it since we have decided it's Armenian food month (more recipes soon). The recipe said to grill the chicken, but the cold, misty fog had already rolled in for the evening and there was no way I was going to heat coals for two chicken breasts, so I decided to bake it. BIG MISTAKE.

Who knew I was so bad at baking chicken. I couldn't get the temperature right because my oven is a little bit "special" and I couldn't decide when it was done because I seem to have lost my meat thermometer in the move. So it was really, really done by the time I took it out. Needless to say convincing Dan that chicken is delectable didn't go so well. The marinade is really delicious, though, super flavorful and so so good with lemons from our very own tree, so I recommend it for grilling chicken, fish or lamb...and it's the food of my people so think of me while eating it!

On Friday night, however, we went to Rotisserie Limon (we live in a super diverse neighborhood with things like Peruvian Rotisserie...didn't even know that was a thing). WOW. Mouthwateringly fantastic chicken. Perfectly marinated, perfectly rotissereed, just yum. The sides were a little weird, but it was fun having yucca fries and the sauces (they bring 3 to the table) were really tasty and completely mysterious.

So all-in-all two out of three points for chicken this week. I'm sad to be the weakest chicken link, but I will purchase a new thermometer and try try again. (I, sadly, forgot to take a picture of this one)


Armenian Grilled Chicken Marinade
Ingredients
        1/2 cup olive oil
        1/4 cup lemon juice
        1 teaspoon salt
        1 teaspoon thyme
        1 teaspoon marjoram
        1/2 teaspoon pepper
        1 garlic cloves, minced
        1/2 cup finely chopped shallots
        1/4 cup snipped parsley
        1 1/2-2 lbs chicken breasts, whole or 1 1/2-2 lbs lamb, cut in chunks

Directions
Mix all ingredients together (except meat) and whisk thoroughly.

Put cleaned and dried meat in a large 8 x 11-inch glass baking pan and pour marinade over all, being sure to coat well. Cover with plastic wrap and let marinate in refrigerator for 24 to 48 hours.

Drain meat and grill, basting with marinade until meat is cooked through. Can be baked in a 350 degree oven

NOTE: This is excellent served leftover, cold on a salad!



No comments:

Post a Comment