Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Cooking Light-ly

Currently, I’m a stay at home woman. I prefer this title to homemaker, stay at home wife (since I’m not a wife), and unemployed (since stay at home woman is a full time job). The last couple of months have shown me the sheer amount of work that goes into being a stay at home woman, the meal planning, the grocery shopping, the cooking, the cleaning, the piles of laundry doing, the trash out-taking (and in San Francisco the recycling and stinky, sticky food compost out-taking), the plumber and painter coordinating, the list goes on and on. I will always have a special place in my heart for the men and women that stay home to ensure the lives of their loved ones run smoothly and with extra benefits like hot dinner when they get home, occasional homemade desserts and little projects completed (like tightening the screws on the dining chairs so guests don’t fall to the floor, not that that happened to us).

Although my time as a stay at home woman hasn’t been without mental breakdowns (one begins to wonder about one’s life purpose when one’s biggest outing involves grocery shopping), I have also enjoyed almost endless amounts of time to dream up new recipes. Unfortunately, lots of time to cook and bake leads to lots and lots of eating at all times and I’m not sure the boyfriend is particularly happy about that. We did join a gym, and I’m about to head to my first tennis lesson (I have to keep up my stay at home woman skills), but the extra cakes and cookies have started taking their toll.

So, I bring you cooking lightly! Here's one recipe that is delicious and won’t leave you thinking you need dinner #2 in order to survive the rest of the night because it is so light.

**Disclaimer: I’m only taking a short break from my graduate studies and my California RN license has yet to appear. Also, Dan is super helpful with house chores, I just happen to be home all day to get it all done!

Chipotle Chicken Taco Salad

(Pic is a little blurry!)


YIELD: 4 servings (serving size: 2 1/2 cups), 249 calories per serving

Ingredients

Dressing:
    1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    2/3 cup light sour cream
    1 tablespoon minced chipotle chile, canned in adobo sauce (this is spicy, so don’t go nuts and put in the while can…my mouth was on fire with just one, but I’m a little sensitive to the pepper heat)
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1 teaspoon chili powder
    4 teaspoons fresh lime juice
    1/4 teaspoon salt

Salad:
    4 cups shredded romaine lettuce
    2 cups chopped roasted skinless, boneless chicken breasts (about 2 breasts)
    1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
    1/2 cup diced peeled avocado
    1/3 cup thinly vertically sliced red onion
    1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
    1 (8 3/4-ounce) can no-salt-added whole-kernel corn, rinsed and drained

Preparation

To prepare dressing, combine first 7 ingredients, stirring well.

To prepare salad, combine lettuce and remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Drizzle dressing over salad; toss gently to coat. Serve immediately.

We served this salad with our fave chips from TJs, the veggie & flaxseed tortilla chips…it makes you feel healthy just looking at ‘em!







No comments:

Post a Comment