Thursday, August 11, 2011

The best steak I ever had


Having people over is always a little daunting. You have to come up with a menu that everyone likes, that you want to make, that most parts are easily completed before guests arrive, and of course, a menu that makes you look like the best cook on Earth.

I was invited to Jim’s house for dinner one night (my friend Sam’s, dad) for steak dinner. It was a chilly spring night and steak sounded good, but I didn’t really give it a second thought. We all contributed a side dish, so there were TONS of mouthwatering delights: cheesy potatoes with crunchy corn flakes baked on top, a tabouli-esque salad, my pear and gorgonzola green salad, and the piece de resistance: it appeared to be a blackened, almost to the point of being charred, hunk of meat juicing all over my plate creating a bath for the rest of the side dishes. It almost angered me that this piece of meat was ruining the rest of my meal, so I decided to eat it first to get rid of it.

WOW. 

Hands down the best piece of meat I have ever put in my mouth. It was crispy on the outside, perfectly flavored, juicy on the inside, everything and more anyone ever wanted in a steak and I was enjoying it for FREE. Conversation came to a halt as each person devoured their meal.

So, as I began to create the menu for a recent dinner party at my house, all I could think about was that steak. I had to make it. I needed the recipe. I called Jim, asked if I could have the recipe and let him know it would be published on this blog.

“Nope,” he said, “I can’t give it to you, it’s a secret.”

WHOA.

I have never been denied a recipe. You can even find Niemen Marcus cookies online or the recipe for Mario Batali’s famous gelato in his book.

The only way he would budge is if the recipe wasn’t published. So, I’m happy to say I am the proud owner of the best-steak-I-ever-had recipe (it’s in my head, I can make it for you for a small fee). I made it that night for Dan and his brother and his brother’s fiancĂ©. We all sat in silence as we devoured every last bite. Not a single leftover.

I did make a nice Wheatberry salad I can give you, but sorry, no best-steak-I-ever-had for you!

Farro Salad with Asparagus, snap peas and Feta
Ingredients
1 1/2 cups semi-pearled faro (I used semi-pearled barley…you have to cook it for about an hour to soften it)
12 ounces asparagus, trimmed, cut into 1 1/2-inch lengths
1 8-ounce package sugar snap peas
12 ounces grape tomatoes, halved
1/2 cup chopped red onion
6 tablespoons chopped fresh dill (I used flat leaf parsley instead)
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup Sherry wine vinegar
1 7-ounce package feta cheese, crumbled

Preparation
Cook faro according to package directions in a large saucepan of boiling salted water until just tender. Drain. Transfer to large bowl, cool.

Meanwhile, cook asparagus and sugar snap peas in another saucepan of boiling salted water until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Drain. Add to farro with tomatoes, onion, and dill. Whisk oil and vinegar in small bowl. Season dressing with salt and pepper. Add dressing and feta to salad; toss to coat and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment