Thursday, September 20, 2012

I cashed in my chips

On September 1, 2012 I officially cashed in my chips for a lifetime of cooking with my new husband! (it still sounds weird to call him my husband)

And now, back in the city of eternal (windy) spring I've boxed up my favorite wedding trinkets, deleted all 27 of the wedding blogs I was following, sent away my wedding dress to be cleaned, zipped Dan's suit into a bag, recycled a mountain of Crate & Barrel packing material and sat down for dinner with my husband (there I said it again!).

For some reason it was different this time.

Not giant, big splash, sign with lights and confetti different. Quietly, comfortably, giggly different. It was like we suddenly became adults according to the powers vested in the state of Washington, but inside we knew we were still the same people and we were busting at the seams with the thought of us as a married couple.

So here we are. Married. Dan goes to work and I study away for the NP boards, my new testing date hanging over my head like a ticking clock. But one cannot study well without being well fed and well blogged, which brings me to our first self-cooked dinner together as a married couple:  Quinoa with a fried egg. I know, I was in a weird mood, but think of the quinoa as a sweet and salty hash, like breakfast for dinner.



Quinoa & Summer Veggies with Honey Lemon vinaigrette
(serves 2-3 as a side)

    1 3/4 cups chicken broth
    1 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
    1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 small zucchini, quartered and sliced
    1 1/2 cups or 2 ears sweet corn, kernels cut off the cob (I used frozen sweet corn)
    4 green onions
    salt & pepper
    1 vine-ripened tomato, chopped (or 10 grape tomatoes sliced in half lengthwise)
    1/2 cup crumbled feta
    2 Tablespoons chopped fresh basil

For the Honey Lemon Vinaigrette:

    1 Tablespoon lemon zest
    2 Tablespoons lemon juice
    1 1/2 Tablespoons honey
    1 garlic clove, microplaned or finely minced
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper

Instructions
Bring chicken broth to a boil in a saucepan. Add rinsed quinoa and place a lid on top, turn the heat down to medium-low, then cook until the broth is absorbed and quinoa is tender, about 25 minutes. Fluff the cooked quinoa with a fork and let cool slightly.

Meanwhile, combine all ingredients for the Honey Lemon Vinaigrette in a jar or bowl, then shake or whisk to combine and set aside.

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and saute until golden brown, about 30 seconds.

Add zucchini, sweet corn, and green onions, season with salt and pepper, then saute until barely tender, about 4 minutes. Add cooked quinoa and half the Honey Lemon Vinaigrette, then stir and cook for 1 more minute.

Add remaining vinaigrette, tomatoes, feta cheese, and basil to the skillet. Stir well, taste, and add more salt and pepper if necessary. Let cool 10 minutes before serving.

If you want to make this a cold salad, cool cooked quinoa and veggies separately, then mix with the remaining vinaigrette, tomatoes, feta cheese, and basil.

Serve with a fried egg and crusty toasted and buttered french bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment