Sunday, March 13, 2011

Pancake Sunday!


It’s yet another dreary Seattle day, complete with rain, low, gray clouds and that cold wetness you just can’t shake. Perfect for pancakes!!

Yesterday I joined the year 2011: I now have in my possession, my very own, brand-spankin’ new 4G iPhone! YAYAYAY! So this morning, I didn’t even have to leave my warm cozy bed to find a recipe for mouthwatering pancakes. I scrolled through the epicurious app called “epi” and spotted one that seemed interesting – Blueberry Buckwheat Pancakes – perfect! Or so I thought.

I had already mixed the eggs and milk together when I figured out the jar filled with what I thought was buckwheat was actually bran…so I doctored up the recipe a little to create the most melt-in-your mouth Bran-oatmeal Blueberry pancakes you’ve ever tasted! The wafting scent of cinnamon and warm blueberries even woke the sleepiest of boyfriends.

Home really is the happiest place on earth on rainy Sunday mornings.

Bran-oatmeal Blueberry Pancakes
½ cup bran flakes
½ cup oatmeal
½ tsp cinnamon
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp sugar
½ tsp salt
½ stick cold, unsalted butter, cut into bits
2 large eggs
1 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
1 ½ cups blueberries

In a food processor, blend together the flour, bran and oatmeal, the baking powder, the sugar, the cinnamon, and the salt, add the butter and blend the mixture until it resembles fine meal.

In a large bowl whisk together the eggs, vanilla and milk, add the flour mixture and, if you have some vanilla yogurt a couple of tablespoons just for a chewy kick. Whisk the batter until well combined and let it stand for 5 minutes before adding the blueberries. The batter will be watery.

These pancakes are very crepe-like in consistency – eggy and chewy and not super fluffy. So if a heavy, cakey, fluffy pancake is what you’re looking for this is not your cake. I’m usually a cakey pancake girl, but I must say a nice, light crepe-like pancake was quite tasty this morning.

Preheat the oven to 200°F. Heat a griddle over moderate heat until it is hot enough to make drops of water scatter over its surface and brush it with the oil. Spoon the batter onto the griddle to form 3-inch rounds and cook the pancakes for 1 to 2 minutes on each side, or until they are golden. Transfer the pancakes as they are cooked to a heatproof platter and keep them warm in the oven. Serve the pancakes with warmed syrup or your favorite raspberry jam.


Again, I forgot to take a picture before we had both gobbled it up!

For the original recipe: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Blueberry-Buckwheat-Pancakes-12295#ixzz1GWgrJ6e9

2 comments:

  1. I made pancakes too, today. Not as good as my mom's, though. I'm up in Seattle the week of the 22nd. You around?

    ReplyDelete
  2. new blog post please! :)
    plus, you have to dish about the move to sf!

    ReplyDelete